[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:58:42 EDT 2021

IKR! I keep coming back to my raw doubt in actual infinity. But I think some of us (maybe Ackley's one of 'em) don't mean actual infinity when we say the word "infinite". We mean finite but infinitely extensible. And as long as no boundary is hit during the lifetime of the extensions, it may as well be infinite.

Plus, there are other ways to understand what someone might mean by "infinite games":

http://pi.math.cornell.edu/~mec/2006-2007/Games/hypergame.html

I think the win-win people argue that way a lot, even if they don't use those words. The accusation of "thinks he's playing checkers" is tossed around a lot. But I tend to think everyone either misunderstands whatever game we're all playing, or each of us is playing our own private game so nobody's playing the same game. 8 billion is finite, but large enough for most to consider it infinite. Or maybe it's a mix of both ... some of us playing N games simultaneously, some of which are the same game as being played by a clique, some of which are private, etc.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ