[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:37:36 EDT 2021

"Focusing on that inappropriate reduction *is* the point"

Is exactly the point. One could begin to describe the world synthetically by
reaching for some tools like distance, or one can analyze by factoring the
world into a tool like distance. Both are available as interpretations.
Heidegger is concerned with compactness and he is describing it in terms of
the end of distance, the end of near and far. I don't believe he is simply
saying that all is factored into distance. Interpretation, though, is
constrained by habit.

By contrast, from today's NYT:

"""
While there are degrees of opposition to vaccination for the coronavirus
among a number of groups, including African-Americans and antivaccine
activists, polling suggests that opinions, in this case, are breaking
substantially along partisan lines.
"""

The rhetoric expressed here is clearly quantity-centric. The article makes
claims about the *degrees* of opposition among a *number* of groups. It is
suggested that, via polling, that the degree of breaking (substantially) is
along the singular dimension of party. The underlying assumption for this
kind of rhetoric is that space is a universal metaphor. This is very
different, to my mind, than what one must bring to reading Heidegger, the
Frankfurt school, and (quite explicitly) to Bergson.

To make things a little more muddled, now that AZ is getting some much
blowback for the blood clots and brain hemorrhages, should we push harder to
cancel those that warn of the dangers of operation warp-speed?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/