[FRIAM] why I am tempted to worship computer programmers

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 15:05:47 EDT 2021

Wimsatt defined an emergent property of X as any property of X that arises
from the configuration or the order of assembly of the components of X.  One
of the reasons that programming fascinates me is that it reeks with
emergence in this very sence.  It's like cake-making in that regard: order
is essential.  Now others have attempted to define emergence by the wonder
it provokes: definitions like, "an emergent trait of a collection is one
that cannot be explained solely on the basis of the properties of the items
collected.  So, now, I am thinking, "Gee, suddenly this is beginning to
sound like the philosophy of mind."

So, that makes me think of writing an essay (or sitting around and
applauding while one of you writes an essay) entitled:  "TRIANGULARITY: The
Hard Problem.  Such an essay would begin with a recipe for a triangle, an
algorithm for its demonstration.   Ingredients: 4 2' long 1 x 2's; 3 2"
hinges, with removable pins.  Screws to fit.  Drill.  Directions: Remove
pins from hinges and screw hinges to the ends of three of  the 1x2's.
Assemble triangle and pin hinges.  Note how resistant that structure is
against deformation. Now, attach the remaining hinge to the ends of the
remaining 1x2.  Unpin one of the hinges of the triangle and insert the 4th
1x2.  Note that the resulting structure is entirely deformable, floppy even.
Finally, spend two millennia wondering about the ineffability of
triangularity. or not.

'

Nick

Nick Thompson