[FRIAM] Steelmanning Tolman

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:35:06 EDT 2021

Hi, Frank and all,

I have been trying to get a handle on Tolman's understanding of invervening
vriablels.  (For the non psychologists among you, Edward Chase Tolman was a
very influential psychologfist known for his purposive behaviorism.  The
Hall in which Frank and I studied at Berkeley was named after bim  I am
trying to understand the sense in which such variables "intervene."  The
diagram below offers one possibility.  I am writing you today because I hope
the hunters among you will straighten me out on how to go about firing a gun
at a rabbit.  By "find rabbit" I meant "orient toward rabbit".  I guess I
know that stumbling around in the forest with a cocked shot gun looking for
a rabbit is not good hunting technique.

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/