[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 12:33:37 EDT 2021

All of them together. It's quite normal with English words to come with a little ambiguity. But, for instance, the phrase "wealth of happiness" (AH3.b & MW2) is parsable just as it is. We don't need to redefine "wealth" to understand the phrase. And when you're talking about Bill Gates and you use "wealth", you're talking about accumulated economically tradeable assets (AH1.a & MW 1/3).

So, when someone asks "What is Wealth for", especially in the context of discussing people like Bezos, Jobs, or Oprah, it's fairly clear we're talking about money and assets. When talking about, say, Cantor or Nick, it would be very very odd to simply use "wealthy" without a qualifier. Wealth of mathematical ability, sure, easy to parse without redefining "wealth". The question "What is Wealth for" doesn't make that much sense using "wealth" as a qualifier for another substance.

But if you seriously wanted to do that, you could simply re-ask "What is a Wealth of Happiness for?" and it would immediately parse out as "is happiness quantifiable?" "is happiness cumulative?" Etc. And, again, we wouldn't need to redefine happiness, either. English words work pretty well already.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ