[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 19 12:34:25 EDT 2021

At the risk (with the awareness of?) being pedantic:

My working definition of Wealth is that it is accumulated or stored
Value which just begs the question of "what is Value?"

There are a few reasons that Fiat Currency is a common measure of Value
and Wealth (e.g. GDP, personal Wealth/Income, etc), the most obvious (I
think) is that it IS reductive and moderately fungible.   Money is "the
universal solvent" which on one hand means it helps to solve or clean up
sticky problems, but it also ultimately "dissolves everything".   And
you "can't buy happiness" but money *does* work to leverage/relieve
various things which contribute-to/detract-from happiness.  The kid who
killed the Asian Massage Parlor women seemed to have hit a boundary on
that one and took it out on them.

I started the thread "what is Wealth for?" to prompt the kinds of
discussions that have been offered up and perhaps beyond.

My working definition of Value includes it being very
Subjective/Personal/Context Specific and that it is at least a Vector,
probably more properly a Tensor.   As a strawman (in my sense), I offer
dimensions such as:

 1. Fiat Currency with it's exchange rate among other similar
    instruments, it's liquidity, inflation/interest rates, etc.
 2. Data/Knowledge/Wisdom spectrum
 3. Love, Kindness, Filial/Fealthy networks
 4. Tools (levers) for specific tasks/goals
 5. Raw materials
 6. Comfort items (soft warm bed, nice view, etc.)
 7. Basic need items (air, water, food, shelter, ...) -
 8. Reputation
 9. Beauty/Culture
10. et cetera, ad nauseum

Bhutan's Gross Domestic Happiness Index is an interesting way of
evaluating the Tensor of Life into a singular Eigenvalue.   It is most
useful to our Western Hypercapitalism as a strong contrast to the way
*we* collapse it all into $USD (private wealth or GDP or... ) even
though we know money can't always buy happiness and as with our favorite
whipping boy and his neice's book "Too Much and Not Enough" what seems
like a linear or maybe log curve is not only fraught with inflection
points, it has some kinks and even knots built into it.

If the calculus of our "happiness tensor" includes satisficing as well
as optimizing terms, we see something somewhat different the usual math
for evaluating (economic) wealth/value...

    "Enough is too much, and that is just right!" - antidote to "Too
Much and Not Enough"

Some of the terms in the Value Tensor refer to virtuous rather than
vicious cycles (e.g. Love, Kindness, Generosity).   The extrema are
interesting but not defining (Elon Musk, Mother Teresa, Ghandi, Nelson
Mandela, your favorite Street Person).

mumble,

 - Steve