[FRIAM] (no subject)

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 17:52:52 EDT 2021

Dear EricS,

It occurred to me that you, of all people, might have something to say about
the question of how natural selection came about.  I assume it was
"scaffolded" by some physical process or constraint in a manner analogous to
the "scaffolding" of life by white smokers at the bottom of the sea.  Most
accounts of evolution I have encountered start with the assumption of
sufficient modularity for selection to go forward.  But given all the
inevitable trait-entanglements in the developmental process, this assumption
seems wildly gratuitous to me.  Any thoughts you might share with me (us)
would be great appreciated.   I attach a decade-old outline of an essay I
never wrote (because I wasn't really comptent to do so) to explain the
problem

Hope you are well and getting vaccinated soon.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/