[FRIAM] is "assault rifle" a red herring?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 28 17:41:49 EDT 2021

Granting all you say, there is one other aspect — rate of discharge. You can empty your Beretta in the time it takes my to fire 3-4 shots from my 357 revolver. A legal AR can probably discharge a full 250 round mega-clip in the time it takes you to empty, reload, and empty your Beretta. An illegal, full-auto, AR can get close to a single instance of your pistol being emptied.

Mr Macho would eschew most long guns for the same reason as most pistols — too slow to fill the air with lead. Also does not need to worry about skill. In WWII the ration of bullets to causalities was 25,000/1. Because of closed and highly compacted spaces your average mass shooter does better 200-500/1 but still relies on luck rather than skill.

Assassins (mob hit men, etc) prefer a 22 and achieve pretty much a 1/1 ratio. Effectiveness, not posturing, is what matters to them.

davew