[FRIAM] Tragedy of the Commons & Free Riders

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 11:18:50 EDT 2021

OK. I have to make a technical correction, first. Then I'll move on to the meat. By 0-int, I mostly mean "algorithmic". I'm not suggesting that 0-int agents are simple or uncomplicated, only that they are limited in the open-endedness of their "algorithms". By claiming I'm a 0-int agent, what I mean is that I'm a fairly limited set of canned solutions/heuristics to common situations. Coming up with a *new* solution for every tweaked circumstance presents a combinatorial explosion that my pathetic toolbox of heuristics is incapable of handling.

E.g. your rancher example -- Sure, it's reasonable to suggest that all the ranchers get together on a dynamically allocated schedule to [dis]agree politely about who's (not) doing what. Such on-demand problem solving is certainly possible. And the more open-ended the participants' toolbox solutions are, the more likely that will happen [⛧]. But sometimes ... sometimes, even open-ended, benefit-of-the-doubt, polite people need some time off from all that custom, on-demand, solution finding.

That's why I order off the menu instead of what actually tastes better. Why I take my coffee black and my whiskey neat. Etc. I just don't have the energy, or algorithmic flexibility to custom-design a solution to each and every circumstance.

I.e. I DON'T WANT to be a better person. I want to live in a society that solves the majority of these problems for me, on a regular basis, in a regular way, with a regular solution.

That's the technicality. The meat of our disagreement, I think, is bottom-up vs top-down. To the extent we could indoctrinate every individual toward open-endedness, spread them out and give them the energy and curiosity required, it would provide for better coverage, both in time (rates of solutions) and space (variables addressed, composition of solutions, etc.). I agree with you on that point. But by disagreeing with you, I'm NOT taking a top-down perspective ... like some kind of state communism. I'm arguing for a middle-out approach. Starting from the bottom, with no destination in mind, ensures you'll never arrive. Starting at the top, with no atomic model of composable parts, ensures your castle will sink into the swamp. The only rational approach is middle-up and middle-down (not least because assertions about the bottom and top are metaphysical).

So, targeting your concrete language directly, What does "better individuals" mean? Without a rock-solid idea of what an individual is, and without a rock-solid value system of what's "better", any system designed to optimize individuals will have more unintended than intended consequences. Would hyper-specialized magnet schools be better than broad spectrum liberal arts? Are "screens" bad and ink-on-paper good? Should all children be taught category theory *first*? Etc. There's plenty of work to do in this area. But ultimately, unless the higher order systems in which the individuals live are studied and engineered, the work done at the individual scope is Pyrrhic.

[⛧] In fact, it does happen, regardless of how intricate the landscape. No matter what bureacracy you put in place, no matter how detailed and complete, the open-ended people will wiggle within or around it.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ