[FRIAM] is "assault rifle" a red herring?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:00:37 EDT 2021

I got my first .22 when I was eight.  My nine year-old grandson is too
impulsive and hyperactive to even take out for target practice.  When I
tell him "don't do that" he often doesn't listen.  I was much more
inhibited.  As I mentioned recently at a vFriam meeting, he constantly
plays first-person shooter games in which he slaughters lots of people.  I
don't think he would confuse reality with gameland but he's too frenetic.

People who justify AR-15 ownership by invoking home defense are incorrect,
I think.  A better choice is a short semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun .  It
poses a much smaller threat to your neighbors and you don't have to aim
accurately.  You will likely kill the home-invader, however.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505