[FRIAM] "I have come to bury Ayn Rand"

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:59:32 EDT 2021

Roger,

I apologize for a achingly stupid first response to this post.  My bad.  I am so overwhelmed these days I am warding off interesting things to read.

As penance, I read the whole thing, and, of course, am happy with most of it.   .  I do wish Wilson would make clear how group traits of one generation are inherited by the next generation of GROUPS.  See Link <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/288818273_Shifting_the_natural_selection_metaphor_to_the_group_level>   He actually confuses his selection mechanism for his inheritance mechanism.

To me, the most interesting line in the essay was “My characters became as real to me as real people—and why not, since real people exist only as avatars in our minds?”  This connected to me two thoughts that have remained separate for me until now.  It connected my interest in Peirce’s monism with my interest in the writing process.

Roger, you should know that I think of your and your “layers in the atmosphere don’t mix!” every time I look at a satellite photo and see them layers of clouds sliding over each other easy as grease.   An elephant – particularly an old elephant – never forgets.

All the best,

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com