[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 4 16:15:48 EDT 2021

This bleeds back into my response to (c), which in essence was that we *need* diversity. One huge problem with technology is that tools bias the projects within which they're used. (To a hammer everything looks like a nail.) Hearkening to Ashby, if the diversity of the robots fails to match the diversity of the cultural and biological world, technological progress will be constrained by the culture set by the prior technology. And if that "funnel" from diverse to homogenous goes on too long, it'll crack, perhaps catastrophically, perhaps merely "disruptively". And if it's catastrophic, then we regress.

But with the transhumanist rhetoric (as opposed to the strong AI rhetoric), the diversity is more likely to maintain. Some of us rely on robots, others implant neural links, others edit our germlines, etc. The question is well put in the Ezra Klein podcast (I think Nick mentioned), where they ask whether we let the market decide who becomes transhuman and risk the same wealth asymmetry we see now or should we democratize it somehow? And if so, how?

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ