[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue May 4 23:35:43 EDT 2021

I also consumed DA on tape/CD and appreciated the reader as well, but a
decade after it was written.   I read it (on paper) when it came out,
mostly following up his Snow Crash which I did not discover until just
as Diamond Age came out.   I was previously introduced to him via his
eco-thriller Zodiac (the first of the genre for me) not long before
that.   His work since then has been epic and in some ways amazing but I
don't feel it really matches those early works...   I believe he
followed on Cormac McCarthy's heels as SFI's "writer in residence" but
apparently has not really been "in residence" in the usual sense?

Regarding DaveW's implication/assertion about the story providing a good
post-abundance image to consider I heartily agree.   I was also moved
(re Jon's comment) by the way the human-in-the loop 'ractor
(under-employed actor working inter-actives in a gig economy) bonded
with her "client" in a completely anonymous context.  Stephenson did
some amazing forecasting of many of the implications of ubiquitous
networking.   His nanotech prophecies are still a few decades away I
suspect but he is such a master of 'casting utopian/dystopian tensions
that I *want* to believe much of what he put out there for us.