[FRIAM] In the coldness of space...

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Thu May 6 00:58:43 EDT 2021

I'm a little bit unsure about my knowledge about the subject, please feel
free to correct me if I'm wrong. Below is how I interpret some key issues
around quantum computers.

There are two different issues around quantum computers:

1 Practicalities around building a quantum computer with enough qbits to
solve real world problems efficiently. There are many teams working on this
and it's not very clear when (if?) this will be realized.

2 The type of problems that can or cannot be solved using quantum computers

a) There are a small set of problems that can be solved efficiently using
known quantum computer algorithms. For example, Shor's algorithm is a
quantum computer algorithm for integer factorization.RSA encryption is
commonly used in the financial industry (including Bitcoin) and if you can
do integer factorization efficiently you can break RSA encryption.
(Note that there are other types of encryption algorithms that cannot be
solved using any current quantum computer algorithm and the financial world
has plans to adapt their encryption technology appropriately.)
An interesting issue around this is that there are undoubtedly many RSA
encrypted messages out there that have been intercepted by bad actors and
saved to be decoded using future quantum computers. It's going to be very
interesting indeed.

b) a Big question is whether a quantum computer algorithm will be found to
solve problems like the travelling salesman problem efficiently. To keep
this post simple I'm not going into computational complexity theory, I'll
just give the conclusion:
If a quantum computer algorithm is developed to solve a problem like the
travelling salesman problem efficiently then it will also be able to solve
many other real world problems (NP-complete problems) efficiently and that
will have a huge positive impact on the world. (This is of course also
provided point 1 above is met)