[FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:42:02 EDT 2021

You Nailed it, Glen

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

-----Original Message-----
From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> On Behalf Of u?l? ???
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 1:09 PM
To: friam at redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

For the Frank's among us, it's important to note that this paper is unrelated to hydroxychlorquine and its applicability to COVID-19. That's a troll baiting the reader into some rhetoric about postmodernism and the relationship between [in]formal methods.

But regardless of the trip down the rabbithole w.r.t. Popper and fallacious reasoning, I think he lands on the *correct* conclusion:

"A better approach may be a clear pathophysiological method where we would rely on basic science and look for mechanisms of the diseases and the mechanisms of action of the agents. The method that we need should be the method that corresponds more to the subject of the investigation that belongs somewhere in between pure science, medical science and social science. We need to know the mechanisms of actions, cause-effect relations, and the patients

in all their sophistication. And before all, we need morally fully justified methods, and we, certainly, need Reason."

I say *correct* because I *AM* a mechanistic simulant and I regularly, religiously, antagonize my phenomenal modeler colleagues (which is why I love the Gisin and 't Hooft points about the ontological status of real numbers, even if I don't really grok it).

As for dialogue with Pavlovic on a forum like FriAM, it would be fantastic to have him here. In particular, questioning his questionable assertions on [in]formal logics would be a lot of fun if he's got a thick skin. And it's always helpful to get more criticism of clinical trial methodology. It's too easy to strawman work being done authentically and earnestly. It's quite another thing to be constructive and design better trials.

So there, Nick. Is that what you're looking for? Or are you actually concerned with some super-specialized medical advice some few doctors might give their patients?