[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri May 7 10:02:30 EDT 2021

Russ,

Your intuition is partly correct: these societies, for the most part, were embedded in an extensive cultural web of kinship, norms, rituals, world-view — like any culture or any people. It appears to us that their culture was more pervasive, expressed more consistently, and "enforced" more dramatically, but that is not necessarily true. It would be the case that those participating in those cultures would not experience their culture as, in any way, oppressive. In fact, they would be just as oblivious to their culture as we are to our own.

None of these cultures were authoritarian in any sense. Leadership was situational - a "war chief" when threatened, a "forager chief" during the harvest season. The only permanent leadership position would be the "shaman" who was, more often than not, female.

Some of the societies were hierarchical and authoritarian to some degree, like the Inca. But even they were able to establish and maintain a vast trading network from southern Chile to Meso-America and even into what is not the southwest US - all without money. Quiipu, knotted strings, recorded facts or information, like how much of what commodity was sent where by whom, but no concept of money or 'exchange rate'.

All of these societies were 'brittle' in the sense that none of them survived encounter with European colonizers.

If you ever have the inclination, explore water management on Bali. The indigenous culture allocated water among rice fields based on a complicated system of myths, rituals, and interpreted omens, a classical intra-cultural solution, The Dutch came along and implemented a "scientific" water management system and immediately lost 50% of rice production and initiated a decade of near starvation before they gave up and let the priests take over water management again.

Bali is an excellent example of how an optimum solution to a complex (in the SFI sense) problem "evolves" over generations of trial and error with successes preserved via myth and ritual.

A related curiosity (for extra credit) — in every hunter-gatherer society of which anthropology is aware, the men hunt and the women gather.  To date, no one has been able to explain why. It cannot be explained by maternal roles or physical capacity. The range of theories proposed and debunked over the years is quite large and often very amusing.

davew