[FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sat May 8 00:11:58 EDT 2021

Good effort from your part, but not good enough for me. Everyone on earth
makes honest mistakes, that's different from deliberate BS. I quote from
the reference you gave:

*"Reading Gillespie's response, I don't think he was being deliberately
misleading. I think he genuinely does not understand the article he
co-authored"*
I quote further from your reference to support my view that there is no
evidence that Gillespie is accused of deliberate BS:
"*Like I said, I obviously have different ideological preferences than
Gillespie and other libertarians. But he isn't serving his audience very
well. He's a pretty good writer, but he doesn't understand these issues at
all. He thinks he can make up for his lack of understanding by relying on a
co-author who, by dint of her total fealty to libertarian dogma and the
ability to throw around a few numbers, has him convinced she knows what
she's talking about. In reality she's a total hack. I really advise
Gillespie to confine himself to subjects he understands (motorcycles?
picking up chicks with a snap of the fingers?) and find a fiscal writer who
is able to make the libertarian case from factual premises.* "
Accusing Gillespie of not understanding the issue is fair, but it's totally
different from accusing him of deliberate BS.

A bit off-topic, I find styles of arguments like the above annoying. Why
accuse Gillespie of picking up chicks? Not wrong, it's obviously not meant
seriously, but IMO it degrades the quality of the discourse. I like
listening to the opinions of people with different world-views, but because
there is so much information out there one can't listen to everyone. If a
person uses a style like that I choose to ignore him.