[FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat May 8 03:47:37 EDT 2021

Pieter -

I have a LONG list of friends/family who think they had COVID as early
as December 2019.   Being a Skeptic unto Cynic especially about health
matters, I suspect *most* of them of making it up for one reason or
another.  None were hospitalized, several are borderline hypochondriacs,
a couple wore their (potential) COVID infection recovery as proof of
their fitness/robustness.  None got COVID tests (not easily available at
the time or not yet even suspected, just  in hindsight).   Your
anecdotal group is probably drawn from a very different sampling than
mine!   Glad they all came through.

I haven't checked lately with my Swedish colleagues, I hope they are
coming out of the woods they were wandering into with attempted low-key
herd immunity.  My UK colleagues are hunkered down but report it being
semi-tragic there, my NZ friends are jeering at all of us, my AU friends
are resenting the international travel limitations their low case
numbers but low vaccine rates have lead to, and my Ukrainian friends
have a lot more to worry about right now than a slow-rolling global
pandemic (internal and external).   I don't believe we have heard from
our (one?) member here from the Indian Subcontinent (Sarbajit?) and hope
that does not reflect anything dire for him.   Mohammed E-B (retired
from or passive on this list) in Egypt/Sweden hasn't reported recently.
A friend expatriated to southern MX who is one who thinks she already
had it and is "sure she is immune cuz she's tough as nails" says the
incidents are low in her region.   Glad to hear from Gary in Ecuador
from time to time.   When in history could most of us have this kind of
spread of first hand reports so easily?

I think it is going to be a long time before we can really say "this
Pandemic is Over" though the US (and much of EU?) is acting as if it
might be for us in the next few months.

In the fullness of time...

- Steve