[FRIAM] FW: Covid-Lancet-PART-2 (002).doc

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sat May 8 12:45:03 EDT 2021

Sirry, I couldn't get two minutes into their chatter before I fled to
google.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243.pdf is a Nature Review article
on mRNA vaccines from 2018, so a snapshot of a technology prior to covid-19.

The mRNAs are synthesized in vitro using phage RNA polymerase,
ribonucleotides, and template DNA, products purified using high performance
liquid chromatography or something similar to remove double stranded RNA,
and packaged into lipid balls.  The Moderna specifies modified nucleosides,
meaning not the common RNA bases, which reduces immune response to the RNA
itself.   The Pfizer-BioNTech didn't specify.

(Apparently there are mRNA treatments which package viral RNA amplifier
enzymes on the mRNA, not relevant to these vaccines, though.)

Note that "2 days to vaccine" is comparing the final step in vaccine
manufacture.  There are months or years of work before that step to develop
the virology, molecular biology, immunology, mRNA and protein engineering
to the point where you have a template DNA for any vaccine.  And some of
those precursor steps will involve filtering out mRNAs that don't
transcribe well and protein fragments that don't fold well or fail to have
the desired antigenicity, steps which might not be necessary if you were
developing a vaccine with another technology.

-- rec --

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 9:08 AM Pieter Steenekamp <pieters at randcontrols.co.za>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> If he had talked _only_ about the adenovirus vaccines, already
>>> established in company production lines, rolled out unusually quickly (to
>>> their credit, in just the way he says generally), and with a history of
>>> clinical trial evaluation of essentially the same technology, then his
>>> discussion of regulatory roles would have indeed focused on the only
>>> remaining discretionary variable in affecting the time of the public
>>> availability.  Everything else was more or less constrained.  Only
>>> mentioning the adeno vaccines would have been a lot less compelling
>>> rhetorically, though, since J&J is a minor player in the US, Astra not yet
>>> at all (in the US, unless it has been approved and I haven’t kept up), both
>>> are slightly less-flashy by the efficacy numbers, may have more limited
>>> scope for use in boosters if there is immune response against the viral
>>> vectors that disables the delivery system in second doses before it can
>>> deposits its payload, and also have rare inflammatory side-effects that
>>> have been enough to give them some negative PR (though do not change the
>>> fact that they are excellent vaccines).
>>>
>>> Yet I think the only companies he mentions are the mRNA ones, for which
>>> the turnaround timescales are shortest and most impressive, and seem by
>>> comparison to make the Government Regulatory timescale look most
>>> blameworthy.  That is what I felt is disingenuous.  If you are going to use
>>> those as the standard for government responsiveness, why not mention that
>>> the most impressive timescale is that they exist at all, and which actor
>>> ultimately made the difference between now and never?
>>>

>>> But let me let that part go.  You may still find my objection unjust as
>>> well as inept.
>>>

>>> I do want to respond to the points 3 and 4 above, though, because they
>>> are part of a tone that undoubtedly was what I was ranting against.  The
>>> specific sentences are:
>>> "Had the agency been faster off the mark and used human-challenge trials
>>> and other innovative testing techniques, the vaccines could have been
>>> brought to market months earlier with no compromise in safety. That would
>>> have conceivably saved hundreds of thousands of lives globally”
>>>
>>> I want to flag where I think this is specifically manipulative, and
>>> suggest what I think would be a more correct and productive framing.
>>>
>>> Those two sentences are an assertion about constraint and causation,
>>> meaning that removal of a constraint would have caused a better outcome. Of
>>> course, they are not literally an “assertion", since everything is framed
>>> in conjectures or conditionals.  That’s how lawyers and debaters talk.  But
>>> with a clear intent to have the reader conclude what they only express as
>>> conditional.
>>>
>>> Let me give an ad absurdum for why I say it is a bogus assertion of
>>> causation.  Not that the ad absurdum is a great literal model of the
>>> Gillespie language, but so I can be unambiguous about the structure of the
>>> 2. Feathers have all these important functional roles in flight.