[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Mon May 10 15:10:07 EDT 2021

I went looking for your 5 principles.

• civilization is already a cooperative enterprise, it's just a matter of
cooperation's extent/ubiquity

Agree. That's one of the reasons Trump's norm-breaking was so destructive.

• there's nothing supernatural, so all solutions have to be built on science

Agree there is no supernatural. I don't see that implies that "all
solutions have to be built on science." Most of our norms are not
science-based.

• innovation, technology, culture, etc. are limited only by nature; so in
principle the things we build (including governments) can be as big and
complex as the natural world

Is this controversial?

• class is a cultural construct; we create it; hence we can eliminate it

Is this controversial?

• the spectral signature of organization sizes is present in nature and
should be mirrored in society (e.g. power laws for org sizes, small-world
networks, etc)

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean that it's important to be aware
of advances in our understanding of complex organizations, I certainly
agree.

-- Russ