[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon May 10 17:04:45 EDT 2021

I am appreciating Russ's inlining observations/questions of Glen's 5points.

Supernatural:

    I think Russ's and DaveW's points about the role of the Super/Supra
    Natural in any human project is important and may well be the
    fulcrum that balances our never-ending Metaphor-Flogging.   I'm
    still on the other side of the fulcrum from Glen (as I understand
    it) but I feel like all of that is getting more clear as we stir the
    already muddy water (yay for floculants!)

Constraints:

    Two "truisms" I operate by:

    1) Constraint Provides Form;

    2) When a problem seems intractable, add another degree of freedom
    (e.g. level of indirection)

Engineering vs Evolution:

     1. As technophiles (Engineers, aspiring Engineers, latent
        Engineers) it is natural for us to hold up Engineering as the
        Ultimate and in fact often to believe that that is our ONLY toolkit.
     2. As complexicists (practicing, groupie, aspirant, acolyte, etc.)
        we have a more sophisticated toolkit which "adds a level of
        indirection" which reduces in some sense to "attempting to
        design the elements in a complex-adaptive-system" and (perhaps)
        apply the Scientific Method in that context.

Class:

    Class is a cultural construct.   We can (maybe) eliminate it, or at
    least it's overt indicators.   As Glen gestures at, gradients of
    ability and relevance of abilities exist in any cultural context.
    We can choose to arrange for these gradients to be enhanced or
    suppressed.  If "the Rich get Richer" is a truism when expressed in
    terms of any rational conception of "money", we can *still* change
    the *rate-at-which* the Rich-get-Richer and/or the Asymptote of
    Wealth that constrains that truism.  (e.g. I believe in the
    Mondragon Communities Wages are constrained to remain under 3:1).

Structure-at-all-scales:  "The spectral signature of organizational
size..."  nature, etc.   Hear Hear!   If we *must* engineer everything
from the top-down then we should *at-least* inspect the spectral
signature in several dimensions to see if it even begins to approach
natural systems which *might* be recognizeable similar enough to compare
(if not actually inspire).   Is Biomimicry  an Engineering Discipline or
Tool yet?   I'll have to look back into the publishing record and see
if/when it might have become more than a neologism.

Carry On,

 - Steve