[FRIAM] Smart-Contracts: was UBI

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Tue May 11 02:12:56 EDT 2021

Steve,

*However... I'm fundamentally *more* interested in how the same concepts
(and machinery ultimately) can help us move on past a post-capitalistic
socio-Economy toward something closer to it's close cousin Ecology which I
believe would have a much stronger flavor of reciprocity, gifting and
gratitude vs the nearly *required*??? U-O-Me nature of Money (conceived as
IOUs, but distorted to UOMes by ?greed?).*

I think not.

Smart Contracts and Crypto Currencies are almost a dream come true for
anarcho-capitalists; you don't need the state to have both secure contracts
and money.

What I say now is not to be take too seriously, I exaggerated to make a
point: smart contracts and crypto currencies are good for peer-to-peer
transactions in the spirit of "fuck the world, this contract/transaction is
between consenting adults, so don't interfere".

Let me add some detail in support of this.

*First let me address cryptos and smart contracts.*The way I see it is
crypto currencies and smart contracts ARE capitalism. It's dna is to
reduce the influence of the state and to have contracts and money that do
not rely on the state and central institutions. One of its main features is
that two or more parties can transact without any personal trust between
them - the personal trust is replaced by mathematics.

*Now let's address post-capitalistic socio-Economy. *
Well we don't have a good model for this yet (that I know of) but the way I
see it is that things like the list below will play a much more central
role:
* personal trust between all,
* to do things without expecting anything in return,
* use a handshake rather than a math formula for contracts and
* to have a trusted central government enforcing an accepted social
contract that is almost universally accepted
* to not have money

*Conclusion*
Instead of focusing on what is bad about capitalism and money, it's maybe
good to drop the labels and ask what is a good system for social good and
ecology. Ask how to fix the world, if capitlism and money plays a role in
it, so be it. What is wrong if it is good for the people and the
environment and there is a strong capitalist component and money plays a
central role?

My point is that money and capitalism are not inherently bad and/or evil.
If you start by accepting that you have to choose between capitalism and a
system that "fixes the world" you might not succeed?

If it turns out that there is a system that "fixes the world " without
money or capitalism, good.

But if it turns out that the best system to "fix the world" includes
capitalism, also good.

IMO Scandinavian countries are very both capitalist and also relatively
good for "fixing the world"

*Now my very last word (for now). What do I support?*I support a strong but
very limited central government with the following functions:
a) Have and enforce rules to protect individuals and the environment.
b) Raise taxes for this and for UBI
c) Within these constraints, the government should not be involved in the
economy
d) The government should not protect people from their own stupidity.
e) The government should allow smart contracts and crypto currencies.
f) Provided I don't harm others or hurt the environment and pay taxes to
support the limited government and UBI, the government should leave me
alone and let me do as I like and engage in activities with others on a
free-to-engage-with-adults-to-do-whatever-we-like-to-do.
g) If you want to be woke, fine, but the government should not be woke and
the government should not force me to be woke.
h) Society could be woke and put pressure on others to also be woke, but
government should keep out of it.

Pieter