[FRIAM] CS on CC

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue May 11 16:37:03 EDT 2021

glen -
> http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2021/05/because-i-am-bored.html
>
> Ranting is an art.

Art AND Sport!

I have to say that Charlie's prescription for Musk's next tax-write-off
and bone to throw to the astronomy community was stellar (pun recognized
but not intended).

I'd want to throw in that the RTGs (Radioisotope Thermoelectric
Generators) might be a good sink for otherwise awkward nuclear waste.
I'm not up on the design of RTGs so maybe there is a reason that doesn't
work and/or the volumes (mass) of RNs that could be "dumped" into deep
space this way is negligible.  Of course, it looks a lot like dumping
one's sewage into the river or NYCs "garbage barges" of yore.   I think
the ratios are way off to imagine that the "fuel" itself becomes an
ideal source of reaction-mass?

I'm expecting Musk to send a Cybertruck-styled tow-truck into orbit to
salvage space junk (stunt not unlike Roadster/Starman
<https://www.whereisroadster.com/>).  I'm not sure what if any
components in abandoned satellites would be useful to cobble together
some of the systems.  I suppose that there is no Maxwell's Daemon game
to be played to harvest some of their kinetic energy short of "throwing"
some into reentry orbits which might be a fair trade-off...  strip the
"good stuff" and "hurl" the carcass into the arroyo (I mean upper
atmosphere).

Odd how a neo-Luddite such as myself can get drawn into these
techno-utopian ideas.