[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Wed May 12 03:46:00 EDT 2021

I just want to share two stories with you regarding reciprocity.

1 Years ago I had to be in Miami for a couple of months for business and my
family joined me. My one son was ill and got treatment at the Jackson
Memorial Hospital. There was one nurse in particular that went not the
extra mile but million miles to help us with everything that she possibly
could. When it was time for us to return home we obviously wanted to
express our gratitude. Her reply was to request us to do to others what she
has done to us.

2 The deputy chief justice of South Africa Raymond Zondo had a similar
experience in his life. His family was very poor and a local businessman
helped so that he could study law. After completed his studies he wanted to
repay the businessman, but in Zondo's own words:
“When I asked him what arrangements we could make so I repay him, he said
don’t worry. Do to others what I have done to you. I thought that was very
important and in my own small way I try to do that,” said the judge.
Taken from https://www.goodthingsguy.com/people/judge-raymond-zondo/