[FRIAM] The Joy of Anthropology

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 12 11:20:48 EDT 2021

DaveW-

Very well articulated from start to finish Dave.

I bailed after my first Anthro class, either because of some bad
chemistry with the prof, or a need by *many* profs to "haze" aspiring
students.  In my case, it was because the class (and prof) was
structured around regurgitating rendered factoids from the text.  I'm no
worse at rote memorization (more aptly, I was then) than the next yokel,
but that was not my interest.  My interest was in seeking the patterns
which you speak of.   This lead me to the harder sciences where there
was a more structured/predictable extant suite of patterns (e.g.
Periodic Table, Newton's Laws, E&M, Relativity, (even) QM) but I had a
hint then that I was wading past a rich and fecund pattern-space seeking
a place where the views felt more spacious (like mucking through an
estuary, across foothills to begin climbing to higher reaches).

Your and my shared fascination with Metaphor (though in somewhat
different modes I think) and Christopher Alexander's Pattern and Form
Languages  grew out of my latent interest in all that which cannot be
easily/well reduced the way the laws of mechanics seem to yield.

I enjoyed a limited friendship with Edward (Ned) Hall during my 30's and
his last years (80s).  The relevance of his work to contemporary and
first world cultures (everyday to my experience) was fascinating to me
because I didn't need a university host or big grants to travel to other
places to do primary observation.  I could indulge in my own
observations and studies the same way I can throw pebbles off of a cliff
or into a pond and observe the cascade of behaviours.   FriAM is an
Anthropological/Ethnographic hotbed.

I never knew Mike Agar well, but his Ethnographer's ear and voice was
always inspirational to me.

I could rattle on about the value and role of Metaphor, Anecdote,
Narrative in Science (Narrating Complexity, Stepney et al) and Model
Theory, but it would just be more rattling.

Carry On!

- Steve