[FRIAM] “Don’t they have grandchildren?” was The case for universal basic income UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri May 21 17:03:22 EDT 2021

Well, to be clear, it wasn't (I don't think) Russ' rhetoric but Weintrobe via McKibbon. Russ was simply pointing it out to us.

But further, Weintrobe's argument seems to be (I haven't read the book, only a couple of reviews of it) a mechanistic explanation for how we in the northern hemisphere have become inured to externalities. She's proposing neoliberalism (and/or it's ancillary appendages) is causal. It's fine to disagree with that. But it's an entirely different thing to propose a fact-accumulating, fitted *hull* of a model like Epstein's as equivalent ... or even similar in kind.

Whether it's beyond any human's ability to *make* the assertion she made is obvious. It is within any human's ability to make such assertions. The question is, if we take her hypothesis seriously, how do we *test* it? What measures can we take that stand a chance of falsifying this causal role of neoliberalism?

And, I think, asking that question ... Can we test it? ... helps distinguish between purely descriptive and mechanistic models. If it's your claim that Weintrobe is making an untestable hypothesis, that's fine. But in order to lift up Epstein's just-so story to the same level as Weintrobe's, we'd have to also ask how can we test Epstein's (implicit) hypothesis?

So, again, my answer is: No, Epstein's case is unhinged in some crucial variables, fragile to the inclusion of ignored facts. And regardless of whether Weintrobe's turns out false or too weak, because it's mechanistic, isn't fragile in that same way.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ