[FRIAM] lurking

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:20:22 EDT 2021

Yeah, I agree. But context is Queen. When the virus is created in the lab, it's done with real stuff distilled from the soupy world. Given enough of a difference in context, the robot may not be able to re-constitute the life because the soupy world surrounding the robot doesn't have the real stuff required. Such drastic context changes could be a result of translation through space or time. E.g. trying to construct, on Mars, an organism read/serialized on earth. Or e.g. trying to construct an organism read millennia ago, millennia in the future. It's naive to talk about "science" as if any given read-out formula thereby expressed is *complete*. Science is abstraction to a large extent ... maybe not as abstracting as math, of course. And science must remain "open" precisely because any formula it expresses is suspect, perhaps incomplete.

My favorite example is the magic brewing stick: https://medievalmeadandbeer.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/scandinavian-yeast-logs-yeast-rings/ It *was* scientific to lay out the magic stick as a critical element of the brewing process, only to discover later that the stick isn't the important part.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ