[FRIAM] The danger of a single story

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:34:25 EST 2021

The conclusion that the deepest math structures are innate and the "finer" structures are acquired is interesting and suspect. Do we have source material for that? I didn't see any in the knots book.

Intuitively, following my post about how some tonic behaviors are more easily expressed with some biological/anatomical structures than others, I'd guess proprioception would be more self-oriented and operational (swimming through the milieu), whereas visual perception would be more other-oriented ("watching" objects swim through a stationary frame). I think a properly controlled trial would expect proprioception to be a confounder. So you would have to include both visually and proprioceptively disabled subjects <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00221-021-06037-4> to compare with the control subjects.

Your "koan" is spot-on for riddling that out, I suppose. Were I not already canalized by my answer to Dave's question about Jungian archetypes. For lack of a better (or more ironic, since Euler went blind) dichotomy lever, the operational conception might be called Lagrangian and the latter Eulerian. From a Lagrangian perspective any point in an open ball is infinitely far from the outer bound as long as our operations are functions of that outer bound. But from an Eulerian perspective, it's trivial to see the boundary is just fuzzy and all we need do is take constant steps to leave the ball. That renders the koan a simple fallacy of ambiguity, hinged on the conception of "center".

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ