[FRIAM] Call blockers

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Nov 11 12:49:57 EST 2021

Spam/Robo calls have driven me (long ago) to virtually never having my
ringer on or answering my phone when it does ring unless the caller is
in my contact list AND I know who it is.   I can hardly remember how I
coped with my landline in this regard which I let go nearly 20 years ago.

FWIW I had a co-worker/friend who left LANL about 1984 to go work for a
budding RoboCall company...  She was a very clever/capable woman with a
lot of humility and wit, but in spite of her self-deprecating
description of the job/work, she took it anyway.   I suspect it may have
been a stepping stone for her to solve the 2-body problem with her
husband who perhaps was about to accept a job in a particular geographic
locale where this may have been located.  Such a job would be the
obvious/ideal telework job, but it *was* 1984 (Orwell references aside)
and the state of the art seemed to be luggable thermal-print terminals
with 1200 baud modems, so maybe not.   I can't even remember her last
name, or I'd go look her up and grill her on how all that turned out for
her!