[FRIAM] From Fanny Hensel to Shor's algorithm

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 12:33:30 EST 2021

Today's Google doodle honors the pianist Fanny Hensel. I got to wondering
what if any relation she might have to Kurt Hensel. It turns out that
she was his grandmother. This got me thinking about a different kind of
genealogy, that of ideas. To what extent is Shor's algorithm a direct
decedent of pollard's rho? Does anyone here know much about the history
of period finding-based factoring algorithms?

Also, while reading Hirvensalo on QC, I started to get a glimpse of
where factorizations of tensor products find their way into the Fourier
transform literature. Unfortunately, still only a special "limiting"
case of the Kronecker product approximation problem that is biting me.