[FRIAM] Has anybody been lookiung at covid numbers

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 23:13:07 EST 2021

I haven't looked up Santa Fe's numbers specifically... but if it is
anything like national numbers, the difference is that last year we were in
the early stages of a massive uptick, and this year we are in the middle of
a rapid fall off (with the recent cold snaps having no noticeable effect).
If you look at the graph below, you will see an upswing starting October
18th of last year which peaked January 14th, and by Nov 20th it was
already 950 a day above where  it started. In contrast, this year we are
down over 950 a day from the peak on Sept 24th.

A winter spike could still happen, but we are over a month out from where
it started last year, but I don't think it is going to. If the current
trend continues, we'll be at a negligible number of deaths per day within
about 2 months. I think that's overly optimistic, but 3-4 months is
probably very realistic (barring a new variant), even if we allow for a
modest post-holiday uptick.

How that should play into any particular person's particular plans, I can't
say. Even in the unrealistically-optimistic 2-month scenario, that's still
30,000 more deaths. More than double that for the more realistic 4 month
scenario.

[image: image.png]
<echarles at american.edu>