[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

⛧ glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:06:44 EST 2021

Absolutely. I've been trying to get you to talk about loop scoping (in space and time) for. like. ever. So what set of scoping measures do you intend to use? Time must be important, fast vs slow feedback. Distance would be, too. But there are more interesting measures, like concreteness, or vagueness. E.g. during development, parts of the developing system may express a distributional expectation/anticipation of the consequences. Such expectations might come with a fuzziness that refines to crispness with iterations of the loop. That uncertainty is, like speed and distance, a useful measure of the feedback scope. Another type of measure might be variety of consequences. The expectation might be for a sharp peaked, symmetric distribution of consequences, where, through iterations, it spreads to a fat, asymmetric, or multimodal distribution.

I'm NOT, however, willing to allow that any consequences do not feed back. All consequences feed back. I am willing to allow that the distribution of consequences changes, and that the prior differs from the post. Essentially, what feeds back is a distribution, not objectified things (which allows for a more coherent conception of causal loops). So if you qualify epi- vs phenomenon with a scalable measure, such that "small" consequences are more epi- and "large" consequences are less epi-, then we might make some progress.

Of course, all of my rhetoric argues against a crisply ordinal conception like epi- in the first place. But you're so faithfully hypnotized by that word, it's unreasonable for me to expect you to doff it.

--
glen ⛧