[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 12:19:13 EST 2021

I agree. I use the distinction (artificial vs natural) as a rhetorical crutch. What we *should* do, what I've asked Nick to do, is talk about how we *measure* outcomes, how they *scale*. If we run something like a principal component analysis on all the outcomes and let the data tell us which parts are primary and which parts secondary, then we don't need the artifical vs natural distinction (or the epi- vs phenomena distinction) at all. This outcome's salience is 0.00001, that outcome's salience is 10000.0.

Of course, if you change the measure, you get a different distribution. But if we don't talk, at all, about the measure(s) being used for the classification, then we're just talking nonsense.

I don't like the following words. But the distinction between [un]supervised learning is similar. Except there, I tend to argue that there is no such thing as unsupervised learning. The very choice of any family of models biases the eventual model you select.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ