[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Nov 29 12:19:59 EST 2021

On 11/29/21 10:05 AM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ wrote:
> Yes, that's the point. Thanks for stating it in yet another way.
>
> The word "epiphenomenon" is loaded with expectation/intention. It works quite well in artificial systems where we can simply assume it was designed for a purpose. But in "natural" systems (like the hyena case), if we use that concept, we've imputed a *model* onto the system.
>
> I would go even further (encroaching on Marcus' example) and argue that even if someone *else* designed a system, you cannot reverse engineer that designer's intention from the system they built. The agnostic approach is to treat every system you did not build yourself, with your own hands, as a naturally occurring system. (This is the essence of hacking, including benign forms like circuit bending.) I would ... I want to ... but I can't take that further step without a preliminary understanding that "wild type" systems don't exhibit epiphenomena at all. They can't, by definition. If some effect *looks* like an epiphenomenon to you, it's because *you* imputed your model onto it. It's a clear cut case of reification.

Not to be argumentative (though it seems hard to have any conversation
on this list that doesn't end up feeling like an argument) but Isn't the
*point* of hacking to discover ways to use "bugs" of an intentionally
designed system *as* "features", often in combination with other
bugs/features?   Maybe *I* impute too much into the idea of "hacking"?
(does one impute *into* or *onto* BTW?)

I admit, when I follow clickbait with "hack" in the title sometimes the
target of the hack is a system *not* designed/built by humans with
intentions which the "hack" is overcoming/circumventing/re-tasking...
but I don't think of that as a "hack" as much as "thoughtful
understanding".  The vernacular use of "hack" seems overly broad to me.

I suppose the character of Sherlock Holmes is characterized by the
overlap of these two abilities (encyclopedic knowledge of human-built
and natural systems, along with an acute analytic ability to deduce and
infer and and a similar acute ability to synthesize disparate elements
of those systems to achieve a specific purpose)?   Though I suppose the
latter is more in the domain of the Archetype "McGuyver", leaving
Sherlock more to the domain of engineering *humans* to admit to or
demonstrate their culpability in something or another.   McGuyver seems
to be intent on breaking or remaking things to fulfill his own current
desire.