[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Nov 29 13:13:23 EST 2021

Glen -

I appreciate your vernacular distinction between "hack" and "crack".
I'm of an age/generation that "hack" still carries over/undertones of
things like "wood butcher" (someone whose carpentry skills/style is
anything but subtle), but am habituated to recognizing it as a generally
positive (or at least playful) mode.

In the early days of the internet (public version ca 1992), I had a
student intern from NYU's Tisch School of Design who came to the world
of computers/internet from very much an art-design perspective where
they had their own conceptions of adaptive use of design elements and
tools.  He used the term "bash around" in a similar mode to the modern
"hack around" with the sense of seeking those potential exploits with an
implicit willingness to risk breaking something in the process.  In his
case, he seemed to have a healthy appreciation for the robustness of
computer-systems in contrast to others not-very-computer-savvy who might
be afraid to touch the keyboard for fear they would break something.

This activity-style takes me back to the "wood butcher" vs the "fine
skilled carpenter"... I have known nominal "wood butchers" whose final
work was highly refined by a certain aesthetic *and* involved a visceral
understanding of the qualities of the materials in use, *derived* by
*hacking around* vs the often more book-larned style of some
carvers/carpenters whose understanding of the materials and tools might
be a bit less self-discovered.

I think your use of the term "exploit"" here adds to the teleological
divide in these conversations... or more to the point exposes it (yet)
more.  I'm comfortable in everyday discourse with this divide.... humans
exhibit/experience all sorts of illusions of "free-will" even if our
metaphysics might insist that such things ARE illusions.   I even find
it useful (at least convenient) to speak of the intentions of the
inanimate world (e.g. the rock rolling down the cliff crushing the cabin
with/without anyone in it or nearby to care) sometimes, but as with your
regular warnings about excess meaning with metaphorical thinking, I
recognize that it is risky business to *speak* of intentions where there
is no evidence there actually is any.

Which I *think* offers us the opportunity of the same treatment of this
subject *through* a pan psychism lens?  Though we may not want to open
up that complementary can-o-worms.

- Steve