[FRIAM] A pretty cellular automata video

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Oct 2 16:26:46 EDT 2021

I wonder if a CA like this would look cooler on one of these?  https://shop.boox.com/products/mira

..maybe as a sort of framed art?

On Oct 1, 2021, at 2:49 PM, Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> wrote:

A few years ago, I became interested in building myself an AC frog. At the time I started looking into IBM's TrueNorth[0] chips, and more locally, Knowm's memristor[1] chips. The dream was/is to get a bunch of their possibly flawed chips at a bargain price and (à la Von Neumann's "reliable organisms"[R]) to try to build my own "conscious" frog. The idea is to build a low-powered ai "brain" and to give the frog some minimal agency (low powered servos or something) and a resistive or piezo-electric "skin"[2] as a way of knowing about its world. Finally, to plug it in and let it have its "own" experiences. I would never know quite what the training turned out to be, but I would hope that it was happy :)

Maybe that dream is getting a little bit closer.

[0] https://research.ibm.com/articles/brain-chip.shtml
[1] https://knowm.org/downloads/Knowm_Memristors.pdf
[R] https://static.ias.edu/pitp/archive/2012files/Probabilistic_Logics.pdf
[2] https://www.kobakant.at/DIY/?p=913

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives:
5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/