[FRIAM] Schwill Rock?

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:57:57 EDT 2021

Well, to be a little clearer, the Dwarves qualify as Swill. Danzig and Tool do not. Rage Against the Machine comes close enough. It's obvious their technical skill prevents them from being Swill. But their target emotional response is the same. So I gave Pandora some slack there.

What I find irritating is the conflict between Pandora's musical similarity versus its aesthetic similarity algorithms. It's like the popularity algorithm (or perhaps cf Facebook "engagement algorithm") overshadows the musical similarity algorithm. It consistently tries to play music it knows I've liked (explicit thumbs up or failed to skip) regardless of what "station" is playing. That irritates me to no end. Yes, I like Black Sabbath. But for Yog's sake do NOT play Black Sabbath on the Tijuana Cartel station ... you stupid, stupid machine.

It, yet again, raises the basic semantic foundation highlighted by Luc Steels: pointing. Teaching Pandora is like trying to teach my cat to look at the referent, not the sign. Some cats get it. Most don't.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ