[FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Tue Oct 19 15:13:04 EDT 2021

Nick,

A reminder on Micheal Levin's work on regeneration, inheritance and
connection to bioelectric fields:
   https://youtu.be/XheAMrS8Q1c?t=428

zoomed to experiment but I encourage you to watch the whole talk.

Stigmergy is coordination through indirect communication. Ant foraging,
termite nest construction and cellular slime mold aggregation and maze
solving are all good examples.

Agentscript examples:
http://agentscript.org/editor/?example=ants
http://agentscript.org/editor/?example=slimemold

I would argue Flocking/Schooling, by contrast, are not be stigmergic as the
boids detect their neighbor position and headings directly. Though don't
want to get into a DAWW contest :-)
Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable
z <http://zoom.com/j/5055775828>oom.simtable.com