[FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:41:54 EDT 2021

Yes, some types of CA can be stygmergic. The separation between the environment and the agent is clear in that the "agent" is the per-cell algorithm (some CAs have multiple algorithms, a spectrum from a global algorithm updating all cells to a different algorithm for each cell). The "environment" is the state of the cell at any given time. You might even go so far as to allow for the evolution of the algorithm(s) based on the contents of the cell ... or the evolution of the structure of the cellular state based on its history (the simplest form being where each cell accumulates state).

But, no, not everything is stygmergic. A typical CA, with a global, synchronized, buffered update and all you're looking at  is the historical visualization of that state would not be. The primary problem is the buffering. If the buffer is flushed every cycle, there's no cumulative effect. So your example below is not stygmergic.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ