[FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:09:58 EDT 2021

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I regret to say that my mathematics sense
has declined to the point where I am unable to follow a lot of what you are
saying.

About ants, you wrote, in one view "ants are a thing and the pheromone
memory is not *in* them. I see this as a particular choice of basis, one
where a decision is made about what is or is not part of the ant and
what is or is not part of the environment."  This is the standard view.

"On the one hand, we can perceive the ants as performing a search,
but just as easily, on the other,  perceive the "search" as pheromone
organizing itself in space, (the ants playing the part of a local update
rule),
that is, one can argue that the ants are a function taking pheromone in
space back into pheromone in space. Such a process begins with
pheromone potentially everywhere and ends with it organized along
some geodesic."

The problem for me with this view is that I don't understand how seeing
pheromone as "organizing itself in space" is intuitively useful. In
agent-based modeling, only agents are capable of action. Ants are agents;
pheromone is not. But then, you aren't reversing these roles. Under this
perspective, ants are still agents in that they implement an update rule.
So as an agent-based model, it's now not clear to me what the difference is
between these two perspectives. I'm putting this in terms of agent-based
modeling since stigmergy is understood in those terms, and not in terms of
arbitrary mathematical functions.

Toward the end, you wrote, "I only meant to emphasize that stigmergy
appears to me as a local concept." I'm not sure what that means. Is it fair
to say that your point is that it is possible to express dynamical system
in mathematical terms and ignore the notion of agents? I wouldn't disagree,
but doing so loses the fundamental value of stigmergy, which has to do with
communication between agents.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science