[FRIAM] Revising the American Revolution

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 23 15:23:40 EDT 2021

This seems like an appropriate point to recommend a small book:

*Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology*
David Graeber (asst. Prof, anthroplogy, Yale)
Prickly Paradigm Press   [love the publisher name]
Chicago
www.press.uchicago.edu
www.prickly-paradigm.com

I believe that, within the book, some seeds for answers to Nick's question "how do we achieve coalition without charisma," and contributions to a lot of other ideas that have popped up in various threads: "great man theory," egalitarian societies, post-capitalism, political theory, etc., might be found.

>From page 1:

*"What follows are a series of thoughts, sketches of potential theories, and tiny manifestos — all meant to offer a glimpse at the outline of a body of radical theory that does not actually exist, though it might possible exist at some point in the future.*

*Since there are very good reasons why an anarchist anthropology really ought to exist, we might start by asking why one doesn't — or, for that matter, why an anarchist sociology doesn't exist, or an anarchist economics, anarchist literary theory, or anarchist political science."*

I also have on order — prepublication — Graeber's 500 page rewrite of history. Supposed to be full of insights like:

*"Before [Marcel] Mauss, the universal assumption had been that economies without money or markets had operated by means of "barter"; they were trying to engage in market behavior (acquire useful goods and services at the least cost to themselves, get rich if possible ...) they just hadn't yet developed very sophisticated ways of going about it.  Mauss demonstrated that in fact, such economies were really "gift economies." They were not based on calculation, but on a refusal to calculate; they were rooted in an ethical system which consciously rejected most of what we we would consider the basic principles of economics. It was not that they had not yet learned to seek profit through the most efficient means. They would have found the very premise that the point of an economic transaction — at least, one with someone who was not your enemy— was to see the greatest profit deeply offensive."*

davew

**