[FRIAM] Thread Bust: WAS: stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 18:11:17 EDT 2021

I am sad to say that my favorite online cellular automata app is now
deceased[†]. In the very early 2000's, I worked as a medical secretary,
in gastroenterology, at the Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland. Every day,
I would take a bus and then a train and then walk to a ziggurat at the
center of the campus. There, a few years before visiting Santa Fe for my
first time, I would spend hours "discovering" new rule systems and forms
within the *primordial soup*. 238/348/8 quickly became a favorite[R],
there was a fairly simple configuration that yields a logic system and
I fell in love. One of the doctors there gave me the job of printing
papers for him and leaving them on his desk. This gave me many hours a
day to search through journals and to discover places like the institute.
Santa Fe, then, appeared on my radar.

I will probably regret offering, but if you (Nick) would like, I would
make an interactive CA for my site that Miles and Cora(?) could use.
You would have to let me know what kinds of interactions you would want,
perhaps setting your own configurations, rules.

[†] https://scout.wisc.edu/archives/r1366/primordial_soup_kitchen
[R] number of neighbors to stay alive/ number of neighbors to get born/
refractory period in steps