[FRIAM] Revising the American Revolution

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:34:17 EDT 2021

I have no idea how to respond to this post. I don't know what "neener, neener, neener" means, unfortunately. But the grand narrative I'm talking about is the (I suppose Rawlsian?) social contract, including the wall of ignorance. That's distinct, I think, from the altruism of joining a collective effort to take responsibility for the future. The social contract argument seems fundamentally self-serving, especially the wall of ignorance fulcrum. It's a neo-liberal rhetorical device used to bridge the chasm between self-serving and pro-social perspectives.

It's that bridge that is the grand narrative of the social contract. If you don't buy into that story, then the whole thing comes crumbling down. Most of my generation (X) and the Y's and Z's are calling the emperor naked at this point. So when you tell the story of the pre- and post- civil war understanding of the constitution to anyone under, say, 50 years old, you *might* want to consider that.

For some reason, I feel like King Arthur at the base of the French castle in The Holy Grail: https://youtu.be/QSo0duY7-9s

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ