[FRIAM] What can or can't (shouldn't) be said on FriAM...

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:54:26 EDT 2021

"""
So, Jon, and all of you other ex-perts, Is it the case, or not?  I can see
that it might be the case for those of you who, unlike me, MIGHT become
massively important to others later on.  But is it, or is it not, the case
for we ordinary mortals.
"""

What I am making, perhaps too many, efforts to express is that gentlemen's
agreements are agreements about what isn't simply given. They are pacts to
act as if something were simply given, all the while acknowledging that if
these touchstones were given, there would be no need to mention it.

All men are mortal, but as McCarthy put it:

*So. Here are the dead fathers. Their spirit is entombed in the stone.*
*It lies upon the land with the same weight and the same ubiquity. For*
*whoever makes a shelter of reeds and hides has joined his spirit to the*
*common destiny of creatures and he will subside back into the primal*
*mud with scarcely a cry. But who builds in stone seeks to alter the*
*structure of the universe...*