[FRIAM] My plan to disrupt education

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:46:53 EDT 2021

I'm a bit surprised nobody has replied to this. I can't contribute much, being ill-suited to formal education. But that raises a point. If we divide causation into 2 types, which I'll call "push" and "pull", structuring a school like what you seem to be doing will require canalization. Your purpose is to put in place a (complex) estuary, as it were, that balances the student's natural pull (desire, curiosity, etc.) against some set of heuristics you want to push, to instill ... the topology of the estuary.

There are similar schools in various places, I suppose mostly liberal arts schools. And, in my travels, I've run across people who have *still* not found a path through the tangled canals that were "pushed", no matter how accommodating. Similarly, I've found people (like a couple of old roommates at aTm) who simply want someone to tell them what to learn so they can move on, get a job, have kids, and retire.

So ... admittedly having only barely guessed at your plans ... how do you plan to balance the push and pull? Must all your students be super go-getters? Or will you plan to knead the lazy and shiftless ones, too? Will you use classifiers like Myers-Briggs to route some into the arts and some into STEM canals? Or rely exclusively on implicit self-classification? And since you plan to facilitate both poor and wealthy students, how do you plan to handle some in-group/tribal influences like the draw some of our poor get towards gang membership or even working the family farm?

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ