[FRIAM] My plan to disrupt education

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri Oct 29 15:17:18 EDT 2021

Thank you very much uǝlƃ , I really appreciate your question " how do you
plan to balance the push and pull? "

The long and short of it is that the plan is to be flexible about it.
Encourage the students to pull. Apart from further encouragement, leave
those that pull to continue. But then intervene and push those students
that do not want to pull.

There will be no regular formal classes with a teacher presenting and the
students listening. Each student works according to her own schedule at her
own pace, we do the monitoring and if required the intervention.

Let me explain.
First of all, there are really a lot and very high quality learning
resources online available for free. A very strong emphasis of what I plan
to do is to teach the students how to learn by themselves.
At the start we discuss and agree with each student their individual
education outcome. We monitor this at regular intervals and intervene and
update and modify it if required.
Our model requires from each student to partake in all three of the
following areas, but with different emphasis on different areas for
different students:
a) Formal curriculum to pass end of school exit exams to get a school
leaving certificate. These exams and certification are according to
www.cambridgeinternational.org.
b) Practise communication skills. They must on a regular basis read or
research some topic and then make written and oral presentations about it.
It starts with pushing, for example giving a student a book about wild
animals in Africa and then asking her to do the presentations about a
giraffe. Per student over time this builds up to more complex assignments
where she has to do extensive research and comprehensive presentations.
c) The last one is then both individual and group project work.

Within the framework each student has the freedom to choose what to do and
when to do it. But every student must work hard - if they don't we will
intervene and push them.

For example, if a student has a project to grow medicinal mushrooms and she
becomes very passionate about it and works hard on this project, we will
tolerate it if she does the minimum academic work, as long as she stays on
track to pass her exams. We will also allow her to skimp a bit on the
communication activities, but not skip it altogether.

Pieter