[FRIAM] Rules of Play

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Oct 30 13:54:36 EDT 2021

I used to take my deaf dog to Santa Fe Tails for day care and on holiday.  Tails has cameras in the various rooms so you can watch your pooch.   A deaf dog doesn't hear when playing results in a squeal from pain, and so I could see when she was scolded for biting too hard.   She learned not to do that.   However she learned other tricks.   One of her favorites was to find a small dog and bop it on the head and then run away.   She really liked doing that.   Sooner or later they caught on and scolded her for that too.   Now an adult she focuses all of her devilish energy on big male dogs for the most part.  She is kind to small dogs.  I speculate that being deaf she got less attention from her mother and less modeling how to give care.   It seems to me dogs have had to be able to learn how to give care to the animals that humans care about, or else they would end up in soup.  There are of course gradations.   Accidentally knock over the toddler or kill a kitten is probably within bounds, but injuring an infant is not.