[FRIAM] Liberal dilemmas

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 17:23:40 EDT 2021

Dave,

Hmmm!  I cop to having thought you a pain in the ass, from time to time, but never you "an immoral idiot "   It's hard for me to take any moral stance with a straight face.

But I think you may confuse two issues:  One is the stupidity of all laws.  All laws speak to matters that they weren't really designed to speak.  Was the stop sign at a desolate Kansas intersection designed for the driver, fleeing from an onrushing tornado?  The law is a blunt instrument and we have always to balance the gains from making it with the losses it imposes.

The other is the fascist idiots (and timorous fools) that are hired to enforce laws and get pleasure from doing so.  These we need to stand up against.  What would have happened if your boss had written a respectful letter stating the reason for the signs and appealing the directive?   By the way, is there any cultural implication here?  I will bet there are Americans who are reluctant to put their butt on any surface that somebody else has put their butt on.

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/