[FRIAM] aversive learning

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Wed Sep 1 20:54:24 EDT 2021

If done carefully, this could be a good conversation to have.

The trick will be to clear the underbrush of obvious stuff and not go endlessly in circles on that, in the hope of getting to something non-obvious.

There is various obvious stuff about solitons (including some storms), roles of boundaries, and the use of statistical definitions of individuality instead of naive matter-bounding definitions.  I have some extended sections on that kind of thing, to clear underbrush that is a needless mess in biology, in the book with Harold.  Like many other things, I put it there as the one place I knew it would be safe from ever being seen by anybody.  So far that has worked well.  Other authors, who have been engaged in endless bickering for saying similar things in journal articles, have had to shoulder all that traffic while I have been left in peace to try to get on to something new.

But let me reiterate to try to keep Nick at bay: I am a polysemist.  The fact that a word gets used for several things does not lead me to think that they are the same or that it is merely a metaphor with one being primary and the others derivative.  I am not saying anybody else has to hold that view, only giving notice that I do.

Case in point (as setup):  The back-and-forth on where the term “to have” came from now has me interested in that.  The exchange with EricC pushed me off a foolish position I had been holding, and in that way cleared underbrush, but didn’t yet get to anything original (at least not contributed by me).

Other inputs:

— I am unlikely to believe any path in this conversation that believes itself to be either top-down or bottom-up.  I think Glen’s oft-advocated middle-out is the only way to hope to have an insightful line of questioning.

— Not having anything better to refer to, I like Gian-Carlo Rota’s notion (yes, Husser’s, or Heidegger’s, but the only version I have read directly is from Rota’s exposition) of “the unthematized” from phenomenology.  Wherever these terms and their scopes come from, it seems to be there.  Again I reiterate, for lack of having something better.

— I know, from listening to them (but not committing to following them for 50 years, which I know is the minimal price of admission) that the Buddhists believe they have the Whole Story on this, and that it is much better than Rota’s “unthematized”.  But I have no way to know if that is the case, or if they just feel better believing it is.

— This is why I like very widely cross-linguistic evidence bases, and I tend to dislike the thesaurus-type analytical reasoning of senses and subsenses of meanings, which strikes me as useful within small bounds, but largely having the error that analytical philosophers seem to me to make, of believing one can argue from syntax to truth.  If one can get parallel emergences of polysemies from many distantly-related branches (preferably whole-world, if one had the databases), that seems more likely to be informative on the experience of being human and the character of living.

— It does seem a bit suspicious to me that Buddhism is a canon.  Any other commentary on living seems to change as the conditions of living change.  So I have little resonance with bronze-age stories that murder is less of an offense against The Lord than eating shellfish, and I resonate much more easily with Irish folk tales for children than I do with many of their African counterparts.  I also find what counts as argument by Plato interesting but completely mystifying.  Of course the Buddhists would answer that their great eternity of reality was never perturbed by the ripples on a pond the life course of this planet, so why shouldn’t some Indians and Tibetans have come to discover the whole thing and final word in a few thousand years at a particular era in human history.  To me that position is tautological, and asserted by many religions, so I don’t see how to say anything useful to engage with it.  Happily, they have no reason to care what I think, about that or anything else, so they can go on living in peace and doing what they want.

To end, because I need to go to a meeting: I don’t think the use of “individual” in psychology is super-close to the notion of being individuated as a cell, organism, soliton, hurricane, etc.  There can be some simple stuff to look for as overlaps, but I feel like the low-hanging fruit in that is all underbrush, which any college undergrad does staying up too late in gab sessions because doing your classwork is too tedious.  It would be good to somehow see that we can recognize what much of that is, agree that the obvious things aren’t too controversial or very informative, and try to get past them.  I know with certainty I will be proved wrong in believing that is possible.

But, still the topic is a good one,

Eric