[FRIAM] Can empirical discoveries be mathematical?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:10:49 EDT 2021

Proving once again that, no however deep Thompson tries to go, Zingale can go deeper, much deeper.

Ok, is mathematics (logic, etc.) a way of arriving at true propositions distinct from observation or are mathematical truths different from empirical truths?

I keep hearing Hywel in my ears:  Mathematics is all very well but sometimes you have to know what you are doing.

I think I am starting to know the answer just by being badgered by you guys.  I can from relativity theory predict that during a solar eclipse a distant star will pop out from behind the sun at T= xxxx =/- xxxx sec.  I can observe empirically that, indeed, the star popped out within that time range.  Thus I have arrived at the same proposition both by mathematical and empirical means.  Is that oK.

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/